Thursday, August 17, 2006

runs with scissors


So - last night I stayed up until roughly 2am making a completely new dress - from start to finish in 5 hours. It is this great McCalls pattern (pictured) that I have been coveting for a few weeks.
I found a fabric that is oh so very asian, accented in pink & forrest green.
(pictures will come once my digital camera returns safely from Pennsylvania with my boyfriend btw)
Interesting things I learned from this particular project -
Following pattern directions precisely is not a bad thing. In the past I have not been one to do this. In fact, I get angry at myself if I DO follow all the directions. maybe it's the rebel in me...but I just HAVE TO cut a corner somewhere. Last night, however, I did (just about) everything the pattern said to do - and I have an awesome dress! *SHOCK!* The only things I didn't do were the 5/8 seam allowance, slipstitching the collar facing, and slipstitching the hem facing.
Let me say something about 5/8 seam allowances....THEY SUCK! I just don't get them, and can't bring myself to do them! ESPECIALLY when the very next direction from the pattern (after sewing each stitch) is to trim the damn seam! WHAT?!? That is an exercise in inefficiency if you ask me - therefore, I will not sew 5/8 seam allowances. I generally use 3/8 seam allowances because that just makes more sense.
Other than that (and the hand stitching), I ironed every friggin seam flat, I gathered between specified marks, I interfaced, I matched seams & hems, and I am amazed at the difference in quality & look.
This morning I drop in starbucks on the way to work in my new dress - and before I get to my car I receive 2 passionate compliments on my "gorgeous dress." wow. thank you anonymous peoples! I didn't admit to either person that I had made the dress myself. I find that weird, but I suppose (in afterthought) that I should've acknowledged my hard work and creativity by admitting that it was a Ri Ri original.
In retrospect I feel that this sewing experience is much like my education in cooking - in that - recipes are precise & calculated and you can leave out an ingredient, but it just won't be the same. It won't taste as good.
A pinch of salt makes a huge friggin difference - seriously. pick a recipe and make 2 versions - one with the required salt, and one without. I guarantee that you will notice a difference.


No comments: