Saturday, August 19, 2006

it's not easy being green

last night I got home and prepared lovely little treats for Angie & Penny for our tea party during our sewing session today. I was asked to bring scones, and while I'm sure store bought scones would have been fine - the "martha" in me couldn't do it.

I decided on making 2 different varieties:

  • lemon cream
  • cranberry orange
the lemon cream included teh zest of 3 fresh lemons, a good dose of heavy cream, and some cream painted accross the top with a layer of sugar for a nice coating. The cranberry orange included almost a full cup of buttermilk - absolutely decadent!

the lemon cream made me realize that my oven runs pretty hot. and even though I took them out 15 minutes earlier than the recipe said, they were still just a tad darker and drier than I would have liked. The cranberry orange, having been baked 2nd, came out much better. But Penny had some fresh lemon curd & cream to spread accross the scones, so both were quite delicious in the end.

In today's sewing excitement I got the kirtle for my 16th century flemish working woman's dress complete. I am really excited about this outfit. It will include a white chemise, olive green kirtle and peach open fronted overdress. really beautiful. tomorrow i'll have to make the overdress & chemise for it to be wearable, but can also make beautiful parlets & pin-on sleeves down the line for it to be really period.

No comments: