Tuesday, August 29, 2006

it's not easy being green v.2.0! better! faster!

so, contrary to my last post - I finished filling in my banner design with the first round of dye-na-flow paints on sunday afternoon/evening. I was worried that I had to let the gutta rest for 24 hours before painting, but apparently 45 minutes is long enough, and I had already waited about 2 hours.

The yellow filled in beautifully, but the red I'm a little worried about. you can see my paint streaks, and i'm concerned that they won't wash or fade out. I'm going to go in for a 2nd coat to make sure the color is bright, and hopefully I can counteract the paintlines with the 2nd coat.

last night I cut out my Tang dress out of a beautiful green cotton gauze, and I finally found my overcoat fabric at Joann's. for once - something I needed WASN'T on sale, so I was actually able to use one of those 50% off coupons they send twice a month via mail & email. It worked out well too, because the sheer fabric I am using was like $11 a yard before my coupon...and I needed 4 yards!

I also found a new & exciting fabric - polyester shantung. It is a faux duponi silk that is actually a washable polyester. I bought a yard and a half of it to use as trim & such on my belt, and am excited to see how it turns out! if so, that is a MUCH cheaper alternative for duponi! It has obvious right & wrong sides, and isn't quite as nice feeling as duponi - but it's really not that bad. and the color selection was FANTASTIC! they had a shade of orange that the boy would LOVE - I had to restrain myself from just buying it to buy it.

I also bought some green cording and made a chinese knotwork belt last night! i was laughing at myself because the intructions for the various knotwork patterns that I had to work off of wasn't very helpful, and I kept getting "tied up". lol. but I got a beautiful knot made and turned it into an adjustable belt for my tang piece.

anywho, tonight there will be no crafting, as I have tickets to see Wicked. (!!!)

more tomorrow!

No comments: