Wednesday, August 23, 2006

pics of projects

up a little late with an upset stomach, so I figured it'd be a good time to load up pics of 3 of my complete projects from last week.

  1. Chinese Hair sticks.
This was a fun thing to make. I was inspired by a beautiful brocade fabric that I bought to make myself a new Tang dynasty chinese costume for the upcoming crown tournament, mixed with the fact that I have recently apprenticed to a wonderful laurel in my kingdom - allowing me to wear a green (and yellow) belt. In the end the outfit will feature a green dress, chinese "fat belt" made of the brocade, green belt tie, yellow chinese knotwork tie, and a sheer yellow overcoat with brocade trim.

the fabric inspiration:









the hairsticks:









2. Fabric Box

I LOVED learning how to do this. This is such a simple sewing craft that, truly, anyone can do. It is just simply different geometrical shapes of fabric, sandwiched around a thick piece of double sided fusible interfacing of the same shape.

the whole box. Isn't the fabric AWESOME!








the inside, matching the top. as I was satin stiching the edges of the base I realized that I had fringe laying around and thought it would look really good - so I did it, and am sooo happy about the results!





the inside of the lid - shows the contrasting fabric that is the outside of the bottom as well. such a great project!














3. My newest asian inspired dress.

this is the dress that caused me to rant about 5/8 seams. since I already went over my mental processes over this piece, I'll just glow over the pics :).

the whole dress. the waistband turns into ties in the back - so it has the illusion of being perfectly fitted when worn, but in reality goes on much like a tunic. but it is really fun to have this big bow & fabric ribbons hanging above your butt - it is such a feminine dress.











a close-up of the bodice, sleeve, pleating, & belt/waistband. and how freaking gorgeous is that fabric?! It is a cotton I found in the quilting section of joann's, and just couldn't stand the thought of someone just using this gorgeous print for a freaking blanket! I was worried it would be too much, too bright, too busy...

but once it's on - it just works. it's really pretty.









so - there ya go!

happy crafting!

No comments: